Sunday 7 October 2012

On the Norty step

Well,the week before last  was a bit of a disaster running wise. It all started on Thurs morning when the post arrived. On seeing what had been delivered I spat out my Dummy,threw my rattle and ended up on the Norty step for 39 mins. A sad looking Elvis was staring at me from the doormat with the words SORRY. I know I was probably being a tad childish (moi childish,I know that's hard to believe) but as it was my 3rd time unlucky I must admit I was slightly peeved.  What has a girl got to do to get a place  in the London Marathon arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Anyway enough of that. I had planned to do a 20 miler that weekend but as my youngest Son had Church for Confirmation and Ikkle Cait had a Netball match so it just didn't happen.If I don't head out early doors then I have had it. I was so fed up of my lack of enthusiasm that I hit the Cake,Crisps and anything I could lay my hands on. I needed to get a grip and fast as at this point my first Marathon was only 3 weeks away.


Has anyone seen my Mojo

I have really been struggling with my Mojo as it keeps running away and hiding. Some days I just don't know where to look but after a couple of messages to My Fitness Family and a couple of great Circuit training sessions (someone remind me never to ask to "work like an eejit again) my Mojo is well and truly "Back in Da House", so with the Tamworth 10k coming up and my Abingdon Marathon I stop messing and start taking this seriously.


Right then enough waffle, back to today.

After a pre 20 mile tea of Fish Chips Sausage and Curry sauce (cos I need the calories) I wake early to a pre run breccy of pancakes and two cups of tea.  I decide to leave my drink at home as I can pop back to refuel as I have forgotten to get my gels and jelly babies and Malt loaf may get a bit squashed in my pocket.

I manage to get out for 7.15. Its so cool and misty,perfect conditions for a long run. I take it easy for the first few miles and decide to do a few laps of the lakes as Hubby and kids are going out and I don't want to go too far away from home in case I get into difficulty. I cant believe how peaceful it is and I just feel so lucky to be able to run.
I pass the new BMX course and as no-one is around I decide to run around it. I don't know if anyone has ever done this but its great fun although some of the little hilly bits can be tough to get up. I am left wondering if this was a good idea as I am only about 4 miles in and I seem to have used a good bit of energy.

I carry on and although I feel a little tired I manage to keep a good pace. My mind is wandering now though and thoughts of failure are creeping in. I decide to think about my blog and what I will put. I think about Abingdon and my team mates and how excited I am to meet them. I also think about the reason I am doing all of this in the first place and before I know it I have hit 9.5 miles and take my first fuel  break.

Getting back out is more  difficult than I thought. My legs are a little tired now and I wonder if I am going to make the 20. I chose a Hilly route to make it even harder as Abingdon is nice and flat so it should be easier on the day.

By 13 miles I am starting to get a bit bored of my laps so decide to run around the football pitch nearby. This is find to a point but the grass is so long an wet along one side that I come of making a very strange squelching noise. If you have ever seen the Father Ted episode where Father Doughal has his Sound Effects record,when Mrs Doyle leaves the room, with every step there is a very unpleasant sound well, that was me for the next mile. Luckily there were still very few people around. I stop off at home once more for more Malt loaf as I can feel myself flagging. I am at 14 miles now and I realise my fueling strategy has been pants.

By 16 miles I still feel good but then I am pounced on by a Dog. Now I understand animals can be unpredictable and the site of some loon running towards them usually means " I want to play" but would a Sorry have been so difficult.Don't get me wrong I don't ever expect anyone to move out of my way as I'm more than happy to weave round folk but Thanks to those lovely people who stopped and moved over for me and the Dog owners who waited till I got past so their Dogs didn't fly at me.

I have now slowed to a walk and have decided that 20 is not going to happen but if I can get to at least 18 I should be okay. My legs are getting very achy now although I feel fine. I manage to make it to 18.54 on my Garmin before I finally give in and decide to pop into the local shop for a bag of ice for some torture. I also treat myself to a bag of salted nuts and a Snickers and head off home quite pleased that I got so far.

I shove the Kettle on and get my Bath of Torture ready. I have never tried this before so it should be fun. The house is empty as Hubby and Kids are out so no-one can film me or hear my screams.



  I lower myself into the freezing water and Oh My Chuffin Eck. My legs sear with pain and I am left with a face that could scare a big scary person.

Scroll down with caution.









  See not a pretty site and yes I do have a big Jumper on in the Bath. I didn't want the kids coming home and having to chip me out of a big block of ice.

 So anyway, I have rambled on for long enough. Thanks once again for reading this.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/230805877#.UHFgdt6g1xs.facebook








No comments:

Post a Comment